J-1 Visa Holders

The US Department of State requires all J-1 visa holders to maintain health insurance for themselves and for any dependents in J-2 visa status, for the entire period of J status.

To be able to meet this demand, you will have to supply written evidence of insurance policy to your university  upon your arrival. The info needs to be written in English and must signify that the insurance meets the minimal conditions for J1 visitors as summarized by the Department of State. Please find those minimal conditions below.

  • The J1 (at the same time as J2 dependent) must keep health insurance for the entire period of the program as stated on the DS-2019.
  • The minimal prerequisite for health insurance policy must supply medical benefits of at least $100,000 per injury or sickness.
  • Insurance for medical evacuation is needed using a $50,000 minimum. This can be found in the improbable event that there's a requirement for the J1 visa holder to go back to the home country for the clinical treatment.
  • Insurance coverage for repatriation of remains is required with a $25,000 minimum. This is used in the unlikely event that the J-1 visa holder should die in the U.S. and his/her remains need to be returned the home country.
  • The maximum deductible on the health insurance may not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  • Rating: Any insurance policy, plan, or contract must, at a minimum, be underwritten by an insurance corporation having one of the following: an A.M. Best rating of ”A-” or above; a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability rating of ”A-” or above; a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ”B+” or above; a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ”A-” or above; a Moody's Investor Services rating of ”A3” or above; or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify; or be backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country; or part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor;or offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization or eligible Competitive Medical Plan as determined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
  • The health insurance must insure all accompanying dependents in J-2 status, using the exact same conditions as previously stated.
  • J1 students just are automatically enrolled for AU Student insurance (unless an insurance waiver is finished prior to the deadline), which satisfies the demands of coverage of the Department of State. You may view the AU insurance page at this link.


Keeping insurance is important for your power to remain in status. Any exchange visitor who fails to keep up the insurance coverage said previously or makes a material misinterpretation is likely to take breach of his/her J-1 status and can be subject to termination of their plan.
The University must refuse a request from an exchange visitor who fails to maintain the required level of insurance coverage, as stated above, including travel signature, employment authorization, extension to the DS-2019, or a transfer of program.

Variables to Consider

In selecting insurance coverage, you need to consider many variables, not only the minimum stipulated by the Department of State. These factors include:

  • Deductible Amounts. Most insurance policies require one to pay part of your health expenses yourself (your part is known as the deductible), prior to the organization pays anything. Beneath the J regulations, the deductible cannot exceed $500 per injury or sickness (many policies give you a reduced deductible).
  • Coinsurance. Once you have paid the deductible, the insurance provider typically just pays a portion of your medical expenses. The coverage might pay 80%, by way of example, and you'll need to cover the remaining 20% of the expense. That is known as the coinsurance.
  • Preexisting Condition. Most policies is not going to cover health problems you had before you purchased the insurance (known as preexisting illnesses) – this contains pregnancy.
  • Life/Per Event Maximums. Exchange Visitors must have insurance which will pay at least $100,000 for each particular illness or harm (at least a $100,000 per-event maximum). Bear in mind that clinical treatment in America for serious illnesses can really cost several times that sum.
  • Exceptions. Most insurance policies don't insure specific illnesses. See the set of exclusions carefully so you understand precisely what's not insured by the coverage.
  • Affordable Care Act. Exchange visitors and dependents could be subject to the demands of the Affordable Care Act.

Getting a Health Insurance for International Student:
When choosing an insurance carrier, you need to thoughtfully consider your person and dependents' needs for health insurance plan, evaluating whether a certain medical insurance product fulfills those needs. We strongly advise that you just assess several quotes to seek out the one that best matches your needs while meeting the U.S. Department of State insurance conditions.

We strongly encourage you to contact Goodscout before trying to get a J1 visa as it can be a drawn-out procedure, and you might be needed to get insurance coverage from the very first day of your J-1 program in America.